Thursday, March 02, 2006

Progress Photo Show


Mary Sledd Solo Photo Show
Progress Coffee, Austin TX
March 15 - April 1

Mary Sledd – Law school dropout, reality TV show star, live music photographer.

Lots of people take music photos. The thing that separates me from the crowd is my approach. The first key to making great music photos is access. I’m a firm believer in the fake photo pass. If it is laminated people assume it must be official. Just be careful to choose a publication that is not so prestigious it is unbelievable. I also like to take a small plastic stool with me to shows. It makes me taller than other people in the crowd so I don’t have to be crushed against the stage. And most importantly I never shoot live music with out my noise canceling ear muffs. They look a little funny, but they are OSHA approved. With the earmuffs on I can stand next to PA and take pictures effortlessly.

I grew up taking pictures for the Austin Chronicle. They first published my work when I was 16 and I’ve been working for them ever since. I’ve also had photos published in many major publications including Nylon, Lucky, Photographers Forum and Box Magazine. I want to work for Rollingstone when I grow up.

No comments: